Monday, May 3, 2010

impossible dreams

you know those careers that your Asian parents don't really consider careers but you've always secretly wanted to try? if this life weren't so focused on money, on the needs of life than living life, there are a few careers I'd want to try out: acting, modeling, singing, dancing, and fashion design.
Acting-when I was a freshman, we had to present a scene from Romeo and Juliet. I was still breaking out of my shell, still introverted, yet I somehow managed to get the "Best Actress" award while playing a man, Lord Capulet. I had the weirdest costume...I'm sure it involved ballet slippers and a Mexican bean vest. Sadly, I haven't really done much acting since unless it's for class.
Modeling-I actually got my parents agree to let me try out for America's Next Top Model Petite Cycle, but I wasn't 18 in time for the auditions :(. I also made it through one round of Miss Teen New Hampshire, but didn't pursue it further. I simply think modeling would be fun, but then again, it probably is a lot more pressure-intensive than I dream it up to be. The obvious problem, though, is my 5'1'' stature, something that I cannot alter.
Singing-I have a tumultuous relationship with singing. While I enjoy singing, I cannot sightsing or harmonize or really even follow a piano. One of the several regrets in my life is not learning how to play piano properly. I say properly because my mother was my piano teacher, and as a result, I despised the piano and purposefully never learned it correctly. Now I can't ever really sing beyond serenading people on the MRT in Taipei or in the shower.
Dancing-So this is probably the most impossible of the four, simply because the last time I had real dance training was when I was eight and did ballet when every little second-grade girl did ballet. Add to that my clumsy body, and that makes for one impossible dream, but a dream, nonetheless.
Fashion Design-This is probably the most possible of the impossible (possibly impossible? impossibly possible?) I've always been into clothing, shopping, shoes, handbags at one point...I've liked going through closets and helping people put outfits together. None of this, I realized this semester, can really help me to become a fashion designer. I can't draw for my life, nor do I have enough creativity to design. Also, if I learned nothing else from my Fashion Design class this semester, I realized that sewing machines and I are not friends.

What are your impossible dreams?

4 comments:

  1. i want to be a stay-at-home dad who writes novels in his spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wanted to be a couch potato. or own a chocolate shop.

    ReplyDelete